Twist and Shout

Twist and Shout
Life is never straight (Joey Kulkin photo)

Friday, July 4, 2014

Happiness to a Tee

Check back tomorrow to see all of these pottery candle holders

BENNINGTON -- I had just opened the first box from a familiar potter in Virginny when the door swung open, again. Oy vey, dude. Just give me 3 minutes to myself.

And yet this latest bit of engagement was cool. Very cool.

"Do you play golf?" I asked the middle-aged fella in specs. "You're really tan. You have the kind of tan that looks like you're always on the golf course."

He smiled and said Yes. His wife joined the chat within seconds. They drove up from Sturbridge Mass to play 18 at Mount Anthony Country Club. They liked the course but felt it was a bit pricey. At the same time they enjoyed its originality.

"It's not manufactured" like you see in most of today's new courses, he said. Mount Anthony is deceiving, too. "You think you hit a good shot then you walk over the hill and think, Oh shit."

"What did you shoot?" I asked.

"I beat him 87 to 88," she said with a smile and gleam in her eyes.

"Hey," I said, "can I take your picture with one of these? They just arrived. We sell his trivets and mugs but we've never sold these votive candle holders."

Of course, they said.

John and Gerri.

"We've been married 42 years," she said with the sweetest little lisp you've ever heard.

"And you've been playing golf for 42 years?"

She nodded yes. "We may not be bright, but we're happy."

"I'd rather be happy than bright any day."

Asked if either has a hole-in-1. He said no. She said yes. Myrtle Beach in 2012.

"I only beat him one time a year -- today was the day."

"I threw her a bone."

She play-slapped his arm and p'shawed him.

Very few married couples are in this kind of love. It's happy love to a tee.

No comments:

Post a Comment